The condition of your home will have a huge impact on how fast it sells, and its eventual selling price. Preparing your home for sale can pay you huge dividends. Many fix ups cost very little and consist mostly of time and some elbow grease. Here are some simple tips to help your home show its best.
1. Clean the entire home thoroughly. Shampoo carpets, wash walls, clean sills, window screens and blinds. Clean out light fixtures and dust shelving. Get detailed here.
2. Clean the clutter from all closets, cupboards and cabinets.
3. Make your rooms look as spacious as possible. Store unnecessary furnishing items that make your home look crowded.
4. Arrange furnishing so that it is easy to walk through your home.
5. Scale down the number of photos, pictures, portraits and posters hanging on walls. Make sure you patch all nail and screw holes.
6. Keep your curtains and draperies open as a rule. You will want your home to show very light and bright. Find ways to screen any unappealing views.
7. Make your kitchen shine. Remove clutter from counter tops and cabinets and store it. Keep your sink clean and clear of any dirty dishes.
8. Clean your refrigerator, inside and out. Make sure that you do the simple things like putting an open box of baking soda in your fridge. Also, remove unnecessary clutter from the door.
9. Clean your oven. Degrease it and keep it looking as good as possible.
10. Keep scented candles burning in the kitchen and bathrooms. Pleasant fragrances will entice buyers to stay longer in your home.
11. Keep bathrooms scrubbed and tidy with fresh soap and neatly hung towels. Try to color coordinate your bathrooms.
12. Keep all sinks in the home clean and repair leaks or slow drains.
13. Go through your entire home and touch up paint. Pay close attention to corners where there is traffic wear. Touch up baseboards, trim and cabinets and cupboards.
14. Place plants or flower arrangements in strategic parts of the home. A splash of color from plants, flowers, pillows or small rugs can give your home some real flair.
15. Make sure that your home is well lit. Put higher wattage bulbs in dark areas or corners. Keep all lights on during showings, even in mid day.
16. Use mirrors on walls if necessary to reflect light and make rooms look larger.
17.Make sure that all door knobs and keyed entries are working. Replace any worn knobs or handles.
1. Clean up all around the house. Remove any debris piles such as wood, firewood and landscape trimmings. Trim all hedges, bushes and shrubbery away from the house. Keep all garden beds weeded and mulched.
2.Put some color by your home’s entrance with potted flowers. Keep them watered and looking attractive.
3. Keep all walkways clear, clean and in good repair. This includes your driveways and any parking areas.
4. Keep all outdoor furniture clean and in good repair.
5. Clean your gutters and roof. Keep moss or algae from growing on, in or around them.
6. Keep your yard and lawn areas clean and in good health. A green lawn makes a home look great. Keep your lawn edged and free from weeds.
7. Repair any broken windows, screens, shutter or awnings.
8. Clean your garage area. Remove clutter and make it look organized and as spacious as possible. Try to have nothing in your garage but cars.
By following these 25 fix up tips, you can do a lot to increase the perceived value of your home and make it stand out above the competition!